Saturday, June 16, 2007

Random thoughts about my city Kochi


I belong to the so called "Gods own country"..Sometimes i wonder how realistic this tag is because honestly i cant think of any godliness or cleanliness around me that would qualify Kerala to be called Gods own country...

Of course one can argue about the lush green landscape and Serene backwaters...but is this the kerala an average Malayali experiences on a daily basis?? At least i don't! Maybe its because I reside in Kochi, the upcoming business hot spot of the state - A beautiful port city that bears the brunt of thoughtless town planning and a negligent corporation!!

The thing that disturbs me the most is the stinking pile of garbage thrown in every nook and corner..I wish we could have a cleaner city...I wish we could have a safer city...A safer city for girls in particular...Me being a girl have personally had lots of unpleasant experiences in this city- eve teasing in its worst forms.On second thoughts I don't agree with the term Eve-teasing. The issue is more serious and deserves a more serious coinage. Its an insult and needs a term that conveys that meaning. If you are a member of the female species step into any public place and you have a very good chance of being subjected to verbal or physical insults irrespective of your age group. And more often than not the people around you wont even budge to come to your rescue...

No comments: